Professor Muhammad Saidu Sani
A. PERSONAL DATA
1. Full Name (Surname last): Muhammad Sani Saidu
2. Date and Place of Birth: - 29th march 1960/Kwaya Bura
3. Home Address: C/o Kwaya Bura Primary School, Hawul Local Government Area, Borno State - Nigeria
4. Marital Status: Married
5. Contact Address: Clo Department of Crop Production
and Horticulture Federal University of Technology, P.M.B. 2076 Yola Adamawa State – Nigeria.
7. Mobile Phone: 070696826,08053449084
B. EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION WITH DATES
1. School Leaving Certificate 1973
2. West African School Certificate June 1978
3. B.Sc (Hons.) Agric. August 1983
4. M.Sc Agronomy January 1990
5. Ph.D Crop Production. July 2006
6. Certificate in Computer Appreciation July 2010
7. Postgraduate Diploma in Education In view
C. RECORD OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Classroom Teacher (NYSC) G.S.S.S Ndashi-Eche Rivers State 1983-1984
2. Extension Training Officer Borno State Accelerated Development Area Programme October 1984 – June 1986
3. Asst. Seed Officer Borno State Accelerated Development Area Programme July 1986 – November 1987
4. Lecturer II College of Education Waka- Biu August 1988
5. Lecturer I College of Education Waka- Biu October 1988 – March 1994
6. Lecturer II Federal University of Technology Yola March 1994 – September 1997
7. Lecturer I Federal University of Technology, Yola, October 1997 – September 2006.
8. Senior Lecturer Federal University of Technology, Yola October 2006 – Date
D. PUBLICATIONS AND OTHER PRODUCTIVE WORKS
1. Saidu M.S. and B.B. Jakusko (2000) Effect of soil moisture content on early seedling performance of sunflower (Helainthus annus L.) Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Volume 2:166-172.
2. Jakusko B.B. Saidu M.S., Okusanya B.O. and Matai E.P. (2000) Effect of planting density on yield component and final grain yield of open pollinated maize (Zea mays L.)Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture Volume 2:179 – 182.
3. Mustapha A.B., A.A. Sajo, Gworgwor, N.A. Saidu M.S. and B.B. Jakusko (2001) Effect of
weeding frequency on the yield of three varieties of maize (Zea mays L.) in Yola Adamawa State. Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture Volume 3.32-38.
4. Chubado D., Sajo A.A. and Saidu M.S. (2002) Effect of phosphorus on the growth of two varieties of groundnut in Girei Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture. Vol. 4:112-117.
5. Saidu M.S. Gworgwor N.A; and Chubado, D. (2004). Studies on the use of trap crops for the control of Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth in Maize in the Sudan Savannah zone of Nigeria, Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture Vol. 6:34-40.
6. Mustapha A.B., A.A. Sajo, M.S. Saidu and B.B. Jakusko (2004). Effect of weeding frequency on the growth of three varieties of maize (Zea mays L.) in Yola. Adamawa State Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture. Vol. 6:41 – 46.
7. Saidu M.S., N.A. Gworgwor, A.A. Sajo B.B. Jakusko and A.B. Mustapha (2006). Effect of planting pattern, trap crop and brine in controlling Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth in maize (Zea mays L.) in Yola Journal of Sustainable Development in Agriculture and Environment Vol. 2:127-136.
8. Jakusko B.B. M.S. Saidu, A.M. Bawuro and M.Y. Jada (2006). Effect of phosphorus on yield and yield components of Lima bean (Phaseolus lunatus L.) Integrated Scientific Journal., Moscow No. 19 (179) pp 69-72.
9. Jakusko B.B., M.S. Saidu, A.M. Bawuro and M.Y. Jada (2006). Evaluation of miniset technique for cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagitifoulium Schott) propagation. Izvestia Journal of State Agrarian University of Armenia Yeravan No. 1 pp 28 – 31.
10. Jakusko B.B., U.M. Usmanikhalid, A. Hamid, M.S. Saidu, A.M. Bawuro and M.Y. Jada (2007). Post-harvest handling and storage of fresh tomato fruits. Life sciences international Journal Vol. 1. No. 2 pp 134 -140.
11. G.S. Mamman and M.S. Saidu (2007). Effect of spacing and weeding frequency on growth of Rosselle (Habiscus sabdariffa) in Yola, Adamawa State, Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture Vol. 9. 163 – 167.
12. Alkali A.U. M.S. Saidu, Ibrahim Baba Iya, Khali Ballo and Tukur Ahmed (2007). Information sources in the adoption process of Adamawa Agricultural Development Programmes Improved maize seeds. Abuja Journal of Business Administration Vol. I. No. 1 pp 100-108.
13. Saidu, M.S. (2009). Effects of planting pattern, trap crop and brine on Striga hermothica (Del.) Benth in maize (Zea mays L.). Production in Gombi , Northern Guinea Savannah zone of Nigeria, Nigerian Journal of Agriculture, Food and Environment Vol 5:30-34.
14. Saidu M.S. (2009). Effects of cow urine on Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth in maize (Zea mays L.) production in the Northern Guinea Savannah of Nigeria, Nigerian Journal of Agriculture, Food and Environment Vol. 5:39-41.
1. Saidu M.S., B.B. Jakusko and A.B. Mustapha (2005). Weed management practices in Adamawa State in (eds) E.C. Igwe I.S. Mshelia and M.Y. Jada Agriculture in Adamawa State. Paraclete publishers Yola.
1. Saidu M.S., (1998). Crop residues management and its role in maintaining soil organic matter and soil fertility in; (eds) Kushwaha, S; Adegbla T.A; Oseni, T.O.’ Auwalu; B.M.; Bustwat, I.S. Agerricultural Development in the 21st century Concepts and strategies, Proceedings of 14th annual conference of the Farm management Assocication of Nigeria (FAMAN) held at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi 20th – 23rd September, 1998.
2. Samaila, A.E. Saidu M.S., and Akpam, C.H. (2008). Effect of intercropped cowpea (Vigna unquiculata) and Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moench) on seed yield in Numan Local Government Area. Adamawa State in (eds) A.A. Sajo, K.N. Futuless and Neils J. Shelleng. Proceedings of the 26th annual conference of the Horticultural society of Nigeria (HORTSON) held at the Adamawa State University Mubi, 26th – 30th October, 2008.
1. Saidu M.S. (1999). Production and Utilization of reselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) A paper presented at the Adamawa State Agriculture Development Programme Monthly Technology Review Meeting June, 1999.
2. Saidu M.S. (2001). Agronomic practices for the production and storage of roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) A paper presented at the Adamawa State Agricultural Development Programme Monthly Technology Review Meeting July, 2001.
E. PROJECT SUPERVISION AND EXAMINATION
1. NCE Project
Supervised 28 NCE final year projects between 1989 and 1994.
2. Undergraduate Project
Supervised 30 undergraduate final year projects between 1994 and 2010.
3. Postgraduate (M. Tech.) Thesis
These are ongoing and as various levels of completion as follows:
Effects of weeding regimes and land preparation method on growth and yield of sweet pepper (Capsium annum) at Mubi Adamawa State completed.
Effects of weeding regimes and intra row spacing on the growth and pod yield of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moinch) in Yola completed.
The effects of weeding frequency and groundnut maize intercrop ratio on growth and yield of maize in Yola, Adamawa State completed two season’s trial.
Effects of different levels of nitrogen fertilizer and weeding frequency on the growth and yield of roselle (Hibiscuss sabdariffa L.) completed two year’s trial.
4. Postgraduate (Ph.D) Thesis
i. Effects of plant population density and different levels of proparity on weed control in upland rice (oryza sativa L. variety) in Yola Adamawa State completed two years field trial.
ii. Nitrogen use efficiency of maize as influenced by nitrogen fertilization and soil type in Yola Adamawa State – just defended the proposal.
iii. Effects of reduced herbicide levels, manual weeding and organic fertilizer on growth and yield of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum in Dadin Kowa Gombe State of proposal stage.
5. Internal Examiner
I have served as internal examiner for the following M. Tech. Theses.
Nitrogen and phosphorus use efficiency by tomato (Lycopersicon lycopersicum mill) in Dadin Kowa Gombe State.
Heritability and correlation studies of some local cultivars of onion (Allium cepa L.) for dehydration.
Effects of postharvest dips on the storage quality of two varieties of tomato (Lycopersicon lycopersicum L. Karst) fruits in Yola Adamawa State.
F. UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION
1. Acting Head of Department
2. Member School Board of Agriculture
3. Member Senate
4. Member School Board of Postgraduate Studies
5. Member Board of University Primary School
6. Member University Governing Council
1. Auditor, Nurul Yaqeen Islamiya Primary School Parent Teachers Association
2. Chairman, University Primary School, Parent Teachers Association.
3. Chairman, Management committee, School for Higher Islamic Studies, Lumo Koppi, Jimeta Yola.
4. Coordinator Vegetables, Horticultural Society of Nigeria.
5. Associate Editor, Nigerian Journal of Horticulture.