Published on 02 September 2015
HISTORY OF THE PROGRAMME / SUB-DISCIPLINE/DISCIPLINE
The Senate of the Federal University of Technology, Yola at its 48th Special meeting approved the commencement of the Sandwich Programme in the School of Technology & Science Education. This was consequent upon the identified need for the programme in the university’s catchments area, and the pressure mounted on it by the Federal College of Education Yola (FCE Yola),which needed to transfer its displaced students of the University of Ilorin, Satellite Campus of Yola, to a nearby University, following the Federal Government’s pronouncement on the closure of Satellite Campuses. In actual fact, the programme was billed to commence with the students of the University of Ilorin Satellite Campus of the Federal College of Education Yola
The Sandwich Unit programme is housed in the School of Technology & Science Education (STSE) and courses offered would lead to the award of the following degrees:-
1. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Biology
2. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Chemistry
3. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Physics
4. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Geography
5. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Mathematics
6. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Economics
7. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Integrated Science
8. B.Tech. (Ed) Hons Physical & Health Education
9. B.A. (Ed) Hons Language Arts
10. B. (Ed) Hons Educational Management
11. B. (Ed) Hons Guidance & Counselling
The above areas of specializations were aimed at accommodating transferees of the University of Ilorin Satellite Campus in F.C.E., Yola, and also meeting the teacher preparatory needs of the Adamawa State and environs. The Programme took off on 4th May, 2004 in all areas of specialisation with the exception of Physics and Integrated Science where there were no candidates
ADMINISTRATION OF GENERAL PROGRAMME/SUB-DISCIPLINE/DISCIPLINE
The description should highlight the following:
1. Personnel Administration
(a) Organization structure (Use chart if necessary)
(b) How staff are involved in the decision-making process and in general administration.
(c) Policy and practice on staff development
(d) Staff promotion
The Sandwich Unit is managed by the Coordinator who coordinates its affairs, chairs its departmental board, and liaises with the Chairman, Sandwich Management Board and the University administration on behalf of the Unit. Members of staff (both academic and non academic) are assigned certain functions and responsibilities to execute for the smooth running of the Unit; and all members of staff are answerable to the coordinator. Some of these responsibilities include the coordination of
• Teaching Practice
• Field Trip
• Students Advising
The unit also operates through committees which are set to address specific areas of units’ interest. Some of its standing committees are Admissions, Examination Screening and Direct Teaching and Laboratory Cost (DTLC).
The unit holds regular departmental meetings to discuss academic and other matters relating to teaching, research, effective management of resources as well as the general welfare and well-being of staff. Members of staff are usually encouraged to avail themselves of the University’s policy on training to develop themselves. All conditions relating promotions and other benefits are judiciously followed in the promotion of deserving staff.
2. Student’s Welfare
(a) Handling of academic grievances
(b) Student academic advising
All academic queries and grievances are normally addressed by the coordinator or where necessary by the management committee. The Unit also has Programme Supervisors and staff advisers for the students association.
a) Setting, conduct, evaluation schemes, moderation schemes-internal and external for degree examinations and the issuance of results.
Final year (i.e. 5th contact) examination questions are usually moderated by external examiners. Examination answer scripts are also moderated by external examiners after marking by internal examiners.
Results of examination of all the examinations taken at all levels are compiled and presented to senate through the Sandwich Management Board after been screened. Such results are made public to students after approval by the senate.
4. Academic Atmosphere
(a) Any policy adopted and practised by the College/School/Faculty! Department in pursuit of academic standards and maintenance of academic atmosphere.
The Unit encourages collaborative research between staff where possible. Conference and seminar attendance is also encouraged subject to availability of funds
Existing Curriculum for the Programme/Sub-Discipline/Discipline
Attach to this Form, the complete and current prospectus which should include:
(a) Programme Title:
(b) B. Tech Ed (Hons.) and B. Ed Tech. (Hons.) with options in Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Integrated Science, Physical & Health Education, Guidance & Counselling, Geography, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics Education; B. A. Ed (Hons.) Lang Arts; B. Ed (Hons.) Educational Management and Guidance & Counselling.
Programme/Sub- Philosophy and objectives:
The Sandwich Unit was set up in line with the vision and mission of the National Policy on Education to train highly skilled, professionally competent intellectually sound science and mathematics teachers for Nigerian Secondary Schools and Colleges. The process of producing these quality teachers is through:
• The development of learners’ talents in both contents of their teaching subjects and educational pedagogy.
• Enhancing the practicum of science and mathematics teaching by organizing a closely supervised teaching practice.
• Coping with the dynamics of the Unit through research work on contemporary issues in education and encouraging innovative ways of effective teaching and learning of science subjects.
• Collaborating with other relevant programmes in the university to produce balanced students who possess requisite knowledge, skills and desirable work attitudes
To qualify for admission one most possesses the following:
a. NCE with distinction, credit or merit in the major subjects, or Diploma in Education with Distinction or Credit, plus a minimum of 5 credits in the SSCE/WASC/NECO/GCE O’ Level in relevant subjects or Grade II Teachers’ Certificate with a minimum of merit grade in at least 5 relevant subjects.
b. GCE A’ Level or its equivalent in two relevant subjects, plus 5 credits in the relevant O’ Level subjects.
DURATION OF THE COURSE
The duration of the course is:
5 Contacts Years
For the award of B.Tech (Ed)/B Ed. (Hons.) a candidate must have passed all prescribed and registered courses. With a minimum/maximum of 20 / 24 units to be registered in any contact. A candidate is expected to have registered and passed at least/most 110 units / 155 units, with a CGPA of not less than 1.00. A written project and 15 major component of a student’s graduation requirements as well.
Programme Sub-discipline/Discipline Structure to include period of formal studies in the Universities Industrial training, planned visit and projects:
LIST OF STAFF IN THE UNIT
1. Dr. Fatima M. Joda Ph.D Senior Lect Coordinator
2. Abubakar Bappa Diploma E.O. Accounts
3. Abdulrahman M. Jambutu B.Tech. (Hons) Admin Assistant
4. Ahmadu Mohammed Diploma A.E.O. (Admin)
5. Francisca O. Owayale Msc. Econs Admin Sec.
6. Sarah Alexander Diploma Account Clerk
7. Rahuta Japhet First school leaving Certificate Office Attendant
8. Prof. V. V. Apagu Prof. Dean
9. Prof. Ezugu Prof.
10. Prof. Buba Aliyu Prof.
11. Dr. Abubakar Alkasim Ph. D Lect. I
12. Dr. I. I. Nkafamiya Ph. D Senior Lect.
13. Dr. Anne A. Aneke Ph. D Lect.
14. Dr. Paskal Timtere Ph. D Lect. I
15. Dr. Pukuma Micah Ph. D Senior Lect.
16. Dr. Richard Ugwuadu Ph. D Senior Lect.
17. Dr. Abubakar Bashir Ph. D
18. Dr. Aishatu M. Mubi Ph. D Asst. Prof.
19. Dr. A.A. Zemba Ph. D Senior Lect.
20. Dr. J.D. L Kama Ph. D Senior. Lect
21. Dr. Alimba C. N. Ph. D Senior. Lect
22. Dr. Elizabeth Nyadaiti Ph. D Senior. Lect
23. Dr. K.U. Orisakwe Ph. D Asst. Prof.
24. Dr. S. Sarkiyayi Ph. D Lect
25. Dr. I. Tumba Ph. D Asst. Prof
26. Dr. Solomon Adee Ph. D Senior. Lect
27. Dr. O.A. Sogbesan Ph. D Senior Lect.
28. Dr. A. S. Bello Ph. D Lect. I
29. Dr. Aminu Chiroma Ph. D Senior Lect
30. Dr. Emmanuel Adukwu Ph. D
31. Alh. Shitu A .M. Lect.
32. Aminu Umaru G/A
33. Sjewi Funom Shehu Lect
34. Bello Osagie Vivian Lect.
35. Mohammed Bello Asst. Lect
36. Mahmud M. Hassan Lect.
37. Mohammed H. Shagal Lect. I
38. Charles Milan Lect.
39. Mr. Bristone Basiri Lect.
40. Mr. Fasasi K.M Lect. I
41. Mr. Kwada James. U Lect.
42. Mal. Mahdi Abba Asst. Lect
43. Mr. Gambo Matudi Lect.
44. Mr. Thomas Manasa Lect.
45. Mohammed S. Dasin Lect.
46. Usman Mavakumba P/M
47. Mohammed S. Jauroyel Lect.
48. Mr. Titus Godoko Lect.
49. Mrs. Adeyeri Juliana Lect.
50. Mrs. Leatu Shetima Lect.
51. Mal. Salihu M. Umar Lect. I
52. Mr. Habila Haziel Lect.
53. Mr. Awodoyin Francis O. Lect. II
54. Mal. Hamman Aminu Lect.
55. Mr. Raymond Gayus Lect. I
57. Mr. Maspalma Wilson Lect.
58. Alh. Abba Tahir Aliyu Lect.
59. Mohammed B. Mahmud Lect.
60. Mr. Jude Momodu Lect.
61. Mr. Benedict K. Kwala Lect.
62. Mr. Teman J. Tika Lect. I
63. Mal. Adamu Alkali Lect.
64. Mohammed B. Abdulssalam Lect.
65. John P. Wappa Lect.
66. Wada Richard Sylvester Lect.
67. Alhaji Tahir Lect.
68. Abdulfatta A. Momoh Lect II
69. Maimuna Aliyu G/A
70. Jibrilla Adamu G/A
71. Y.B. Valdon Lect.
72. Ademola John Iyabo Caroline Lect.
73. Ibrahim Hayatu Gengle Asst. Lect
74. Yakubu Egede G/A
75. Mr. Suleiman Babatunde Lect.
76. Usaku Reuben Lect.
77. Mohammed Ali Abel G/A
78. Babangida Haruna G/A
79. Kawu Waziri G/A
Sandwich Degree Programme ANNOUNCES the Sales of admission form of its Degree Programme for the 2015 Academic Contact in the following courses:-
B.Tech. Ed. (Hons) Biology
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Chemistry
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Physics
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Economics
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Geography
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Integrated Science
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Mathematics
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Physical & Health Education
B. A. Ed. (Hons) Language Arts Education
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Educational Management with any of the above Teaching subjects.
B. Tech. Ed. (Hons) Guidance & Counseling with any of the above Teaching subjects.
To qualify for admission, one must possess the following
NCE or Diploma in Education with Distinction, Credit or Merit in Major subject, plus at least 4-5 Credits in the SSCE/WASC/GCE “O” level, NECO, NABTEB in relevant subjects or Teachers Grade II Certificate With a minimum of Credit grade in at least 4-5 relevant subjects.
Are obtainable on the payment of the sum of N5,100.00 from MAUTECH Micro-Finance Bank. MAUTECH Branch.
Application forms will be available for the 2015 Academic contact Admission up to 15th July, 2015.
All completed application forms with photocopies of credentials
Should be returned to the following address.
Sandwich Programme Coordinator,
Bukar Mele Complex
Modibbo Adama University of Technology,